Notice: Our ability to process requests has been severely impacted by the outbreak of COVID-19, causing a significant delay in our ability to respond to FOIL requests. We appreciate your patience and understanding during these difficult times.
The Freedom of Information Law (“FOIL”) provides access to records to citizens interested in obtaining records related to government operations. Records include documents and computer discs.
Access to records is limited by certain exemptions including those that intend to protect privacy and the names of confidential informants, and those where the production of records would impair, interfere with, cause substantial injury to, or endanger an individual or government operation.
Please be advised of the following:
- FOIL does not require the Office of the Attorney General (“OAG”) to provide you with advice or information; nor does FOIL require the OAG to perform legal research.
- FOIL provides that a request for records must reasonably describe the records sought.
- FOIL does not require the OAG to create documents or records in order to respond to a FOIL request.
- FOIL does not require the OAG to grant access to documents or records that are not in the possession of the OAG; nor does FOIL require the OAG to obtain documents from other agencies.
- The OAG lacks authority to compel another agency either to respond to a FOIL request or to produce documents pursuant to FOIL.
- If a fee is required for the reproduction of records that respond to your FOIL request, we will notify you of the fee prior to producing the records. If the records are provided in paper format, the first five pages will be provided free of charge, and there will be a charge of 25 cents per page for each page that exceeds five pages. If records are provided in any other medium, you will be charged for the actual cost of the reproduction of records responsive to your request, as well as for the actual cost of any storage devices provided to you. Records that respond to your request will not be produced to you until we have received any required fee for the reproduction of the records.
The OAG FOIL Office does not process complaints. If you would like to file a complaint with the OAG, you may do so by accessing the OAG’s complaint page.
A current list by subject matter of all records in the possession of the OAG is available. Please note that this list reflects records in possession of the OAG, whether or not those records are available for inspection by the public under FOIL.
The Committee on Open Government is charged with furnishing any person with an advisory opinion for other appropriate information regarding the Freedom of Information Law. (Public Officers Law, Article 6). You may log on to the Committee’s website for more information.Submit a FOIL Request